Sunday 5 April 2009

NAPIER - LAKE TAUPO

Had breakfast in town and took some photos of the Art Deco buildings which are pretty spectacular. The whole town was re-built in that style after it was flattern by an earthquake not so long ago when it was a modern style of architeture.

Drove about 150km on a solitary road to Taupo, the trout capital of New Zealand. All over the town are statues, images and shrines to the mighty trout and rightly so. All the guide books say ' A trip to Taupo is not complete without fishing for trout' or ' Get out on the lake and catch a trout' It didnt take much to convince me. So I had a read and it recommends hiring a guide to take you out either on the lake or one of the rivers. For a guide it costs $300-500 which is about 100-175 quid for half a day. Forget that!!!!!! So I hired some gear from a fella in a tackle shop, got me licence and all the info I needed and planned me own day for tomorrow for less than 25 pund!!!! Thats more like it!!!!!

Went back to meet Heather at the hostel and showed her all me gear and told her me plans - I could tell she was facinated!!!

We cooked tea in the hostel kitchen and had a rare night in front of the tele, watched friends, neighbours, corry and a new episodes of house - great stuff!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment