Sunday 5 April 2009

FISHING FOR MAORI TROUT

Didnt sleep well as I was too excited about fishing! Got up and checked out early and set off for the Waitahanui river which feeds lake Taupo. Stopped at a different tackle shop for some different flies as the one's the chap gave me yesterday didnt fill me with much hope. The guy in the new tackle shop was much more helpful and said that river should be good sport. He did warn me that they will be loads of Maori's fishing at the mouth and to avoid them as they class that river as Maori land but said not to worry!!!!! On arrival at the car park near the river we saw a painted sign saying 'MAORI LAND KEEP OUT' so I set off, leaving Heather with the car, bricking me self. I started fishing near the carpark just incase I needed a quick get away!!!

First fisherman I saw was a massive Maori guy fishing up and down the river. Im totally cacking it now!! After about 1/2 hour of no luck the Maori fella comes towards me, I nearly die of fright. Then he smiles and says ' any luck?' We chatted for a while and he gave me some advice and a few flies and was the nicest guy ever!!!!! We both fished the same stretch for an hour or so and had a canny chat.

Fished a bit further inland for an hour or two. Crystal clear streams that didnt yeild any fish. In fact I couldnt even see any in the stream so I dont know why I stayed so long to fish it! So I went back to the mouth of the river and met me marra again, he hadnt caught owt either so made me feel a bit better for blanking!!!

Drove on to Rotorua after dropping me gear back off at the shop. Had a wander round Rotorua in the afternoon then went to a Belgiun bar for muscles and a Snitzel to consol me self after blanking!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment